Rabbits can live happily outside all year round but its important to follow these guidelines to keep the comfortable in the different seasons.
- Make sure rabbit is out of the sun, be sure that there is plenty of shady space for the rabbit to rest.
- You could consider setting up a circulating fan that will breeze past your rabbit without blowing directly on them all day.
- You can put down a damp towel for them to lay on
- Get cool pads for them to lay on (beware they don’t chew them)
- Place a ceramic tile or Marble Square in the cage or in bun’s favourite place.
- Mist the rabbit’s ears. Rabbits dissipate heat through their ears and misting them will help keep the rabbit cool.
- Brush out excessive fur.
- Fill bottles with water and freeze them, alternately freezer ice blocks (Put them in some sort of cover to avoid ice burns)
- Raise the hutch off the floor
- Put in blankets or fleeces for them to snuggle into or to line the floor with some cheap carpet samples for them to sit on (make sure the edges aren’t fraying)
- Get a cardboard box, close all 4 sides and cut a hole big enough for your rabbits to get through, and fill the box with hay.
- Buy them a ‘Snugglesafe Heatpad’. You warm it up in the microwave and it releases heat for up to 8 hours
- Cover their hutch over with old duvets or tarpaulin
- Insulate water bottle and put bowl on heat pads